Monday, March 30, 2009

Annuals Vs Perennials

by Allen Caudle, VOLLMER COO

Every year about this time, we look at the landscaping in front of the house and discuss what to plant. We have several perennials that we can count on to provide color throughout our long growing season but we always feel the need to buy a few annuals to spice things up for a few months.

I recently came to the startling realization that what often leads clients to hire PR and advertising firms is that same urge to add a little splash of color or interest to differentiate themselves from their neighbors (. . . er, competitors). This realization came as I prepared to speak at the 4th Annual Emergency Preparedness & Service Restoration for Utilities Summit. In particular, my topic covered what’s new in communication to customers and employees. This gathering of engineers was looking for a new device they could take back to their companies to help them look better in the eyes of their customers, their employees and public officials.

I wrote my speech highlighting all the great new social media devices that are available and how they could use them to keep customers up-to-date on repairs post-crisis event. I gave them details on how they could use push technologies to reach their customers and inform them of outages and repairs. I added to that a list of amazing software and technologies available they could use. I knew these engineers would appreciate the "cool" factor of what they could do even when faced with the reality that their company would not invest the dollars or the people to take advantage of some of the tools.

I listened to a day’s worth of speakers talking about all the things they do every year to prepare for the possible natural disaster that would impact their ability to deliver electricity to America. I was astonished to learn that this industry is second only to the U.S. Army in its ability to mobilize thousands of individuals and their equipment. On a moment’s notice they are prepared to field whatever it takes to restore power to their area.

And then it hit me. This industry never tells anybody the amazing work they do every year to be prepared. They don’t need a splash of color. They need to trim up those perennials, give them a sprinkle of fertilizer and call attention to how amazing they already are based on what they already do.

I went home that evening and rewrote my speech. I gave them what they were looking for--all the latest communication tools. But, I wrapped it around the message they were missing: here’s what we do, America, to be prepared on your behalf. The splash of color they needed wasn’t a new device; it was simply learning how to take credit for what they have always done. And you know what? They can tell that story every year.

My speech was a huge success. My ideas and thoughts were quoted by the three subsequent speakers. Attendees came up to me at the breaks to admit they have done this work for so long they forget how amazing it really is and it’s time to take credit for their hard work.

What’s my point? We all have basic skills that we have honed over the years. These basics were new to us once upon a time and now we take them for granted. In these challenging economic times we need to take a good hard look at the fundamentals and remind ourselves and our customers that by continually taking care of the basics, we are perennially good at what we do.

Year in and year out . . .

No comments: