Thursday, June 25, 2009

How to Get the Best from your Summer Interns

by Leticia Schmidt Camara, Ashley Hellen and Amanda Waldman
Vollmer Public Relations Summer Interns Twitter @vollmerinterns

The three Vollmer summer interns got together to offer insight into what makes for a valuable intern experience for both the intern and the employer:

Leticia Schmidt Camara, Vollmer Public Relations – Houston Office

Last week I met up with a friend that I hadn’t seen in ages, and we talked about our most exciting summer plans – our internships. I was very quick to dominate the conversation with all of my new experiences at Vollmer – the media calls, my emersion into Social Media tools, fun conversations with interesting co-workers, event planning and media recaps. I could not be stopped. Until I took a breath, and realized my friend wasn’t looking very excited. So, politely, I asked, “What has your week been like?”And my friend replied, “I’ve been licking envelopes.” I paused. Why? Why wouldn’t you use a glue stick/tape/staples/a sponge (insert anything else that might have been more pleasant than using your tongue repeatedly)? My friend wasn’t even sure what event he was licking for.

Having coffee with him made me realize the difference between an internship that will keep you busy and an internship that will help you grow. I am happy to say that I find myself in a summer mentorship, while my friend is stuck in an internship. I believe understanding the difference between the two and striving to create a “mentoring” atmosphere is ultimately the best way an employer can motivate and best use an intern.

This difference stems from the approach the company takes towards the intern and learning process. A mentoring institution views the intern with curiosity, respect and with a willingness to teach. Interns thrive at places like these, such as Vollmer Public Relations, where questions are welcome, co-workers share stories, and tasks are given but also explained. Employers would also greatly benefit from getting to know their interns. Ask about hobbies, skills and interests. Sometimes these may translate into valuable differentiators for your firm.

Employers that focus on teaching and pushing interns to see how daily tasks fit into the big picture of an industry may not fully realize the substantial impact they have on our lives. My time with Vollmer will allow me insight into a market segment so that I can have a strong base to ponder post-graduation plans, and the opportunity to ask questions and pick brains is priceless.
It’s hard for employers to fully grasp how much responsibility interns can be given right off the bat, and we understand that we may be given jobs that may come across as “busy work.”

However, there are some simple ways to help us feel motivated to do whatever task comes our way. One of the easiest ways to help an intern feel included in your organization is by setting aside time to allow everyone to introduce themselves and explain what they do within the company. This allows us to see how the organization works, who we can “bug” with questions on a certain task, and most importantly – it’s a chance for us to learn everyone’s names!
By creating this atmosphere with open dialogue and patience, employers will optimize the internship experience, for both the mentee and the firm.

Ashley Hellen, Vollmer Public Relations - Dallas Office

To sum up what Leticia said, here are some tips on how to use an intern best to get the most out of an internship:




  • No job is too small


  • Make me feel a part of the team


  • Schedule one-on-ones


  • Evaluate my performance regularly


  • Encourage participation

Amanda Waldman, Vollmer Public Relations – Austin Office

Still not exactly sure where to start your intern?

At Vollmer this summer, I have been assigned to answer the phones. Although I was hesitant at first, I think this was a great way for me to become familiar with the clients our firm represents. I am the first person they hear from and the one who answers all of their initial questions. I have to know these answers, of course, which only comes with experience. Put your interns on the phone for a while and see what they can do. I know I have certainly learned a lot from being on the phone.

And, please remember, interns love to sit down to talk with their employers and fellow co-workers. We are curious individuals who are excited and eager to get involved and learn about the field we are working in. I encourage employers at the end of the week to debrief what your intern has done, in order to make sure they are staying on track and getting the most out of their experience. That way everyone will be satisfied.

Once again, thank you so much for this opportunity. I hope that by the end of my internship I will have made you proud and that we both will have learned a lot.

Twitter @vollmerinterns


Bookmark and Share







No comments: