Monday, December 21, 2009

Sometimes You Just Have to Laugh....

by Denisha Stevens
Vollmer Public Relations Dallas

Earlier this year we introduced a new Vollmer logo and design to reflect our company motto of Passion and Expertise in Action. So, in recent weeks we’ve been excited about developing a new website that incorporates these changes.  We planned on kicking off 2010 with a fresh website and fresh outlook for the new year!

One of our last steps required capturing photos of the Vollmer team in action.  I’m quite sure military maneuvers have been coordinated with less hassle than what went into planning this shoot.  We secured interesting locations and juggled schedules that were complicated by year-end projects, 2010 planning meetings and holiday events.  Then there were all of the little details to handle: When would we start?  What would we wear?  Where would we stand?  What would we eat for lunch?

In the end, the shoot was a success.  Everyone pulled together to squeeze an amazing amount of photography into one day.  One team member took on the role of prop master while another assisted with hair and makeup.  Others worked to keep us on schedule and fueled with plenty of coffee.  I was impressed with everyone’s contribution.  Most of all, I felt blessed to work with such a great group of talented and creative people.

Maybe it was all of that coffee, but I was almost giddy when we wrapped for the day.  I drove home smug with the thought that we had captured wonderful photos and moved a step closer to launching the new website at the beginning of the year.

Evidently the universe had other plans!

Soon after I got home and propped up my feet, I received an alarming phone call.  Our photographer and his assistant went to dinner immediately after the shoot.  While they were in the restaurant, someone broke into their car and stole their photography equipment as well as the laptop that contained all of our digital photos from the day’s shoot.

What a shock!  My feet were still recovering from standing up all day and now I was hearing that all of our efforts had been wasted.  I sat there for a few minutes staring into space.  Then, I burst out into a fit of uncontrollable laughter.  I laughed and laughed.  In fact, I laughed until tears came to my eyes.   I’m sure the colleague who called me thought I had lost my mind.

But, why not laugh?  Nobody was injured during the incident. The equipment can be replaced. The photo shoot can be rescheduled. The website will still launch in 2010, just not as early as we’d hoped. And most of all, I still work with an amazing group of people. No thief can take that away.

I invite you to check out the Vollmer website in the new year.  We hope to launch the new design sometime in January after we recreate those fabulous photos.

Until then, you just have to laugh!

Bookmark and Share


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Perhaps the only "rational" response. Laughter really is the best medicine!

I look forward to seeing your new site in 2010~