Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What Happened to my Spring Break?

by Eddie Rivoldi, Vollmer Public Relations Houston Intern
I have adapted to more changes in these last few months than I have in my last 22 years combined. Spring break is just around the corner and I have accepted the fact that this year I will be staring at a beautiful sunset from a screensaver in my monitor while I sip on some cold and delicious apple juice from the mini fridge. Boy I can’t wait.

**Listen to the podcast version of this post***
Growing up I moved to many different countries, yet I never understood what culture shock meant until I actually graduated from school and entered the real working world. So, here are my two cents for any recent college graduate or college student about to graduate.
First of all, don’t romanticize the real world too much. Right before I graduated I thought I was going to share a big house with a pool with all my friends. I was going to work hard, work out even harder, and party like there was no tomorrow. Well, the only thing that stuck with me from that philosophy was to actually work hard. The working out and all the partying died after a week of working. Nevertheless, you should still try to get a run in here and there.  As for the big pool house with all my friends…well I have a house with a pool, but my roommates are my parents.
In these times of recession most college graduates have had no choice but to move back home and live with their parents either because they can’t find a job or because they can’t afford to live on their own. I belong to the latter, but I realize now that living at home is practical and convenient. I have food, clean clothes, and I get to save money. Sure it would be fun to live on my own or live with roommates, but – and I can’t believe I am saying this - right now I have to stop thinking about what I want and start thinking towards the future.  I am amazed at the fact that a lot of my friends are getting into debt just to be on their own.  Save, save and save. If you want to have a down payment for a car or a house, don’t go spending it on rent, save.
The third thing I would like to say to anyone who just graduated and has a job is don’t screw it up. If you are one the few fortunate to have found a job, do everything you can to keep it. Get rid of that college mentality and take it seriously. Show up on time, always dress appropriate by and always have a “can do” attitude. I am not the smartest guy but I figured out quickly that if I give it my all and I am honest I will do just fine.  (A little side note… if you are still in school, please take advantage of it. If there is one thing I regret in college it would be not taking classes that interested me just because they were hard or had a hard professor. Challenge yourself because once you find a job you will be challenged all day, so might as well get some practice.)
The last thing I would like to say about entering the real world is to enjoy it. These last months have been nerve-racking, frightening, but very exciting. I am paying attention all day to everything around me. This is the time in our lives where we really start defining who we are as professionals and as people so make the best of it. As for spring break, well honestly I don’t think I will miss spring break that much, I am having a pretty good time working.  

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely fantastic article, Eddie!

Great advice; I couldn't agree more.

Anonymous said...

Has it been that long since I was starting out? (Yes!) And it's true; it's hard leaving the college mentality behind, but it's SO much more fun being out of school, as you said in the podcast. And you gave good advice - avoid that soul-killing debt. It will suck the freedom and the joy right out of you.

'Course, I went off and was a touring musician after college, and now I'm a teacher (who gets Spring Break), so what do *I* know about the Real World! HA!
:)

alice b

Karina said...

Eddie, I couldn't agree more! Though I did in fact save money by living at home, I was not smart enough to save. I spent every cent I had because I lived in the moment, and did not think about the future. One thing I would add is this: don't listen to everything everyone tells you, but listen to your gut. If I had not taken "you've got to enjoy life now because life is short" so literally, right now I wouldn't have had to keep paying all the trips and gifts I bought. It was great, but greater is going to be the feeling of finally being out of debt. Thanks for your words of wisdom! :)