Thursday, January 27, 2011

Navigating Through Foreign Lands and Languages

Bookmark and Share   By Sandy Diaz, Account Supervisor, Digital

While working as a marketing manager for a packaging company, I spent quite a bit of time coordinating trade shows throughout Latin America. One of the many shows I attended was held in Mexico City.

Being a native of Peru and bilingual, the last problem I suspected to have was a communication issue.

Prior to my arrival in Mexico City, I received a call from Jorge Luis, the Sales Manager for Mexico. He strongly urged that the booth be equipped with “edecanes” during the show. I had never heard of such a word.

I assured him I would take care of his request, and then quickly reached for a dictionary where the English translation for the word read “aid to camp.”

Ah ha, a first aid kit, of course! With all of the heavy equipment at the booth, it made perfect sense.

The day the trade show opened, everything was perfectly in place, thanks to my stellar planning…so I thought.

Immediately Jorge Luis came running towards me, looking around as if something was missing. That is where I learned the hard way that edecan is NOT a first aid kit, but rather a model.

Being the resourceful person that I am, I managed to find an agency and bring Jorge Luis the “booth babes” he eagerly requested, but I learned a very valuable lesson that day.

When working or traveling internationally, one must never make assumptions regarding language and culture. You must do your research.

Growing up I was surrounded by people from countries throughout Latin America. I can spot an Argentinean or a Puerto Rican accent from miles away. I was aware of the fact that certain words could mean one thing in one country and something awful in another, yet I had not done my homework before my trip to Mexico.

That incident is one I often refer to now working on a digital account for Latin America. The region is larger than many may think. It is the fourth largest continent and contains 12 different countries, each with very distinct dialects, food, traditions and governments. Representing a brand throughout Latin America requires an understanding of just that.

In my case, building a social presence in such a unique region has meant research, getting to know multiple audiences and paying very close attention to detail. Each country requires its own platform or community, just as we would expect in the US. For example, in the States, consumers gravitate to brands that appeal to Americans rather than Australians, even though the language is the same. Each country in Latin America should be seen in that same light.

There are several online resources that can be helpful when preparing for a trip aboard or international work. Kwintessential is a site which features cultural customs, including business etiquette, protocol as well as international training and translation and interpreter services.

You can find information regarding appearance, behavior and communication in certain regions of the world. The site is even broken down my country which makes it even easier to search.

Travel sites such as Frommers.com also offer useful information. The Tips and Tools section of the site provides insight on customs and traditions throughout several travel destinations.

Although English is considered the international language of business, it is important to remember cultures and traditions matter as well. A simple greeting can often be misinterpreted, and could result in much more than just a rush to find booth babes.

No comments: