Thursday, September 6, 2012

Continuing Education: Taking lessons from the Classroom to the Real World


Bookmark and Share By Amanda Hodge, Intern, Dallas

After arriving at Baylor University in August, 2008, I was among the swarm of freshman who weren’t exactly sure which professional path to take. I always enjoyed writing, studying literature, traveling and working on team projects, but I struggled to determine a career path that would best encompass my talents. After completing introductory mass communications classes and seeking the advice of several professors, I ultimately decided to prepare myself for a career in communications.

My major allowed me to take classes concerning writing, public speaking, film and digital media. And while my classroom-based education was extremely valuable, the education I received through real-world internships helped me to better understand the intricacies behind various types of PR that I wouldn’t have learned in class.

Baylor gave me my first taste of the real-world of PR through its unique New York City-based internship program.  After a lengthy application process, hours spent researching possible internships in New York and many chats convincing my parents that their youngest daughter was capable of surviving in the most metropolitan city in the country, I headed to New York City last fall for an internship with the corporate communications department at Madison Square Garden.

This internship through Baylor played a key role in helping prepare me for my internship this summer with the corporate team in Edelman’s Dallas office – my first agency experience. Edelman allowed me to channel the skills I acquired through school and previous internships towards various client projects, while also shedding light on new areas of PR that I had never experienced before. For example, I was called on to quickly learn how to conduct research using industry tools such as Cision and pitch reporters. Through pitching, research and organizational projects, my supervisors gave me the freedom to be creative and encounter a new level of multi-tasking that I wouldn’t have experienced in the classroom.

In seeing each client’s specific media outreach needs and the careful planning required for campaign implementation, I feel better prepared to support clients within various industries. Furthermore, I have seen first-hand the various components of public relations that, when combined and given a strong foundation, create a powerful client message.

There’s no doubt that an internship can help to round out the education we receive in the classroom. Based on my experience, here are five tips for recent graduates who are beginning their ‘agency education.’
  1. Skills Matter: Master tools and resources such as Cision, Google and Microsoft Office so that you can quickly help your team complete research projects and other client deliverables.
  2. Track your Time: Keep thorough track of your billing hours, as the time you spend on projects determines the amount you bill the client.
  3. Pitch with Confidence: When pitching, put yourself in the reporter’s shoes, find relevant ties from your client to their specific beat, and always remain confident even if a reporter rejects your story.  
  4. Look at the big picture: Try to understand the big picture behind your firm’s campaigns, because you will learn much more about the industry and be more invested in your projects.
  5. Nurture relationships: Take the time to build relationships with your teams and clients because it’s as much about relationship building and team work as it is about completing individual tasks.

No comments: