Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Client Tips From A Dichotomous Viewer


Bookmark and ShareBy Karl Stetson, Senior Account Supervisor, Seattle  


By way of introduction, my name is Karl Stetson and I am a Senior Account Supervisor on the technology team in Seattle. Prior to joining Edelman, I spent seven years on the corporate side of the equation, with tours of duty that included Rational Software, IBM and a unique start-up in Silicon Valley called Noosh.

During my seven years on the client side of the table, I hired, worked with and on several occasions, fired six different agencies. I realize that all clients are not cut from the same cloth and that our collective experience with them varies, but I can share with you what I have experienced. More specifically, I'll share some of the key items that I needed as a client to achieve my goals and have a positive relationship with my agency partners.

The Devil is in the Details 

As a client, I was always very aware of how well the agency paid attention to details – small and large. Of course agency and client alike are constantly focused on the big picture items such as strategy and implementation. However, I often found that a lack of attention paid to the smaller things could get in the way of larger objectives. As corny as this may sound, the devil really is in the details and some of you would be surprised to find out just how much the "little" stuff can derail or enhance the client/agency relationship. Whether it's the formatting of e-mails, the consistent or inconsistent style in which we communicate our counsel or even the frequency of contact with clients – it is always paramount to pay attention to the details.

So what is it that I mean by the "little things," or the "small" details – what was it that I cared about as a client? Below, in no particular order, are three things that frustrated me about working with agency X.

  • If you can find the answer to a question with some research or by simply asking a teammate, please do so. Your client should never be the equivalent to ask.com, especially if the question is in regards to media strategy, next steps, etc. Present your best recommendation instead of simply asking your client what course of action they think is advisable. They are paying good money for our strategic counsel and that is exactly what we should provide them.
  • The other side of that coin is to make sure that you always ask if you don't know something. The key, however, is knowing when and who to ask. Raising a question with the wrong person at the wrong time can expose you to clients and possibly make them doubt your value. I do subscribe to the idea that there is no such thing as a stupid question, but like I said before, timing is everything. 
  • If the client asks you to change the formatting of an e-mail, briefing document or media plan, jump on that as soon as possible. It always frustrated me when I had to ask several times before the changes were made. Take the time to determine the best possible way to optimize your clients' ability to process the information that you provide them. Some like it short and sweet. Others like a novel. Some like bullet points. Others want you to spell it out in a conversational tone. Find out what works best for your clients and be consistent in how you communicate with them.

No Order Takers Allowed 

Here are a few additional items to consider as well. These don't fall into the category of "small" details, yet as a client, I've seen them overlooked or simply forgotten many times. We all know how demanding clients can be and at times our workloads can be daunting – but no matter how crazy it gets, these are things that should never be forgotten. Speaking from a client's perspective:

  • Don't just tell me yes – if it’s not realistic to arrange a one-on-one deskside with a particular outlet, or if a strategy won't serve my best interests – step up to the plate and tell me. Be professional about it and frame your feedback appropriately, but don't just go along with everything that I say. Invest yourself, put some skin in the game and bring your best recommendation to the table. None of us can see 360 degrees around anything and that's why we work as a team. Honesty and collaboration are the keys. 
  • Don't just be an order taker – demonstrate to the client that you are invested in this as much as they are. They pay for our counsel and ultimately to help them achieve their business goals. You can't do that by simply taking orders and being a worker bee. No matter what your position on any given team, we can all make a difference; we can all add value. Don't ever be afraid to bring your ideas to the team in an effort to put your best foot forward with clients.
Join the Dialogue! 

Do you find that attention paid to the even the smallest details enhances your working relationships? How do you and your teammates ensure that there is a constant focus on details – large and small?

No comments: