Thursday, October 3, 2013

What is it About Lists?

Bookmark and Share By Helen Vollmer President, Edelman Southwest

From shopping in the grocery store, to the “honey-dos” that make my husband’s weekend, to checking off daily tasks on my laptop, numerical itemizations seem to rule my life. I bet your world isn’t too different. And here’s my dirty little secret:  making lists makes me happy. How weird is that?

Apparently, I’m not alone. Notable list makers include Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Woody Guthrie, Johnny Cash and Martha Stewart, among others. Through social networks, everyone has a shot at their top items. Whether thumbing through Flipboard to read about the 10 Perfect Vacation Spots or the Five Things you Should Never Tell Your Spouse, listening to a Top Ten Countdown on radio, or noting David Letterman’s Top Ten List nightly, lists make for good storytelling and are easy ways to organize, orchestrate and help you focus.

That’s why I was delighted to see that much of the content in this eVolution issue includes guidelines, lessons and highlighted roadmaps on a variety of topics from media relations to brand development to Twitter chats. In essence, all are lists to help you remember cool takeaways for use in everyday life. You also might want to check out this Buzzfeed article for additional insights to know if you’re obsessive about list making. You might recognize yourself; I certainly did. And it made me happy.


No comments: