Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Allen's Landing

by Allen Caudle, Shelton & Caudle
VOLLMER Crisis Communication & Training Division

As a Crisis Communications Counselor, when business is good, everything that flows into my office is gloom and doom. Recently, I found myself simultaneously working on clients facing protests in front of their property, embezzlement of millions of dollars by a trusted employee, reports of product tampering in a food product and a drug deal gone bad in a room of one of our hotel clients. And all the while, the national news was reporting that the economy is in a death spiral and we will all lose our homes and savings due to bank failures. I almost was afraid to answer the phone.

Then, I received divine guidance from an unexpected source; a flight attendant who was merely repeating words she chants at least four times a day, “Place the oxygen mask on yourself and then help a passenger who may need assistance.” So, I took a deep breath and reminded myself that business was great, no matter where the national economy may or may not be. And doing that, I began writing emails to all my clients facing crisis situations. I reminded them their business was good and reviewed with each the steps we would take to work through their current crisis issues and return their business to normal.

Take time today to remind yourself of the good things you’ve contributed to your organization and then do a little public relations for yourself, share that thought with a co-worker. The good news just might spread all the way to the doom and gloom reporters of the economy.

No comments: