Sunday, August 24, 2008

Are We There Yet?

by Denisha Stevens, VOLLMER Dallas

Planning a Fall getaway? Whether it’s a simple road trip or an international adventure, you should start by asking yourself one very important question - - is your goal to take a vacation or to travel? Most of us use the two terms interchangeably, but each comes with its own set of expectations. Understanding the nuances can mean the difference between family fun and a family feud.

Vacation Salvation

I, for one, look forward to taking true vacations. This means resting and being pampered. The perfect day would involve sleeping late and enjoying a decadent breakfast. A few mimosas thrown in the mix would be just dandy. Breakfast would be followed by a marathon reading and lounging activity that takes place at a spa, in a pool or sprawled across a beach chair. For me, the relaxation is more important than the location.

All watches, cell phones and laptops would be banished from my presence and I’d strangle anyone who tried to pin me down to a schedule. Even a manicure appointment would be too much of a commitment. I wouldn’t want to strain my brain, so the biggest question I’d ponder would be which flavor of tropical drink to order. I’d wrap the day with a cozy dinner before turning in early. I’d need to rest up so I could repeat the whole process the next day.

Travel Marathon

Not so for my husband. There will be no napping, reading and resting with this guy. He’s all about travel and he likes to cover as much ground as possible on as little sleep as possible. He might start the day with a crack-of-dawn fishing trip followed by a surfing lesson. Then, he’d have lunch at some remote restaurant that only the locals frequent.

He’d wrap up the day with a trek up the nearest volcano or rock face to see the sunset. He wouldn’t worry about toting too much luggage or technology. Once he reached the top he’d whip out his laptop to fire off a few emails while downloading his latest batch of digital photos. Then, he’d throw everything in the car and head off to a new destination. Why linger when there’s more of the world to see?

If you are wondering how two people with such different tastes can have a successful vacation, the secret is in the plan.
  • We each outline our ideal vacation and include as much detail as possible. Then, we trade outlines and plan an itinerary around our shared interests.

  • Another approach is to alternate activities. I don’t mind a hiking trip if I know I have a spa day waiting for me at the end of the journey. A massage can be a great motivator.

  • Finally, we step out of our comfort zones to try something new. By making arrangements to try a new sport or sample a new cuisine our time off becomes a time of true discovery.

So, go for it and plan a fall getaway. Work will still be there when you return.

Currently, we’re melding our interests into one grand napping, hiking, fast-paced, yet relaxing fall travel adventure. I wonder if they have lounge chairs and tropical drinks on top of Mt. Kilimanjaro?



No comments: