Tuesday, April 27, 2010

New Employee Jay Andrew’s Got ‘Spring’ in his Step!

by Jay Andrew, Vollmer Houston  Listen to the podcast

Spring is a time of change and renewal, and that’s pretty much what I’m embracing at the end of my fourth week here at Vollmer. That, and a sweltering case of “spring fever,” and because I love quotes, please indulge me with this one from Mark Twain:  “It’s spring fever… You don’t quite know what it is you DO want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!”

How true.

Maybe I didn’t know exactly what I wanted or what I was looking for in my career, but I knew I wanted something.  Change.  Growth. Something new and challenging and maybe a bit out of my comfort zone.  After all, (here comes another quote), “we cannot become what we need to be by remaining what we are.”  That’s Max De Pree, and if you don’t know who he is, check him out.
 

I’ll be reflecting on these bits of wisdom as I continue to take the “deep dive” into the diverse set of B2B accounts that are now part of my new world. Why just yesterday, I was touring a forklift manufacturing plant with our client, Mitsubishi Caterpillar Forklift America (MCFA). How cool is that? I’ve also been supporting another client’s efforts at a plastics trade show in China. The client is Kraton, a leading global producer of engineered polymers and the world's largest producer of styrenic block copolymers (SBC’s).

Huh, you say?

Just take a look around, and you’ll find you’ve probably come in contact with Kraton’s products in one form or another. These polymers are used in many applications, including adhesives, coatings, consumer and personal care products, sealants and lubricants, and medical, packaging, automotive, paving, roofing and footwear products.

Who knew?

In closing, I leave you with this: Whenever you’re faced with unexpected change, adversity, insecurity, self-doubt, hesitation, uncertainty, or fear of the unknown, just think, WWMD?

“I've been popular and unpopular, successful and unsuccessful, loved and loathed, and I know how meaningless it all is. Therefore, I feel free to take whatever risks I want.” – Madonna

Or if you prefer, WWWD?

“If you're going through hell, keep going.” – Winston Churchill

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Ward White said...

Another fan of Max DePree -- I love it! If every company ran on the principles he established as CEO at Hermann Miller, the world would be a lot better place and employees would enjoy their jobs a whole lot more, and would be more productive to boot. A disciple of his was Rich Teerlink, who came out of Hermann Miller to become CFO and then CEO of Harley-Davidson, bringing that icon to the heighth of its success. If you've got an employee communications challenge, you can do worse than turn to the books of Max DePree.