Thursday, April 29, 2010

Where Do You Get Your News?


by Meredith McKee, Vollmer Dallas

I recently attended a BusinessWire breakfast where they shared some of the new stuff they are up to.  They also shared a study from The Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project that was very interesting.

As we all know, news is available everywhere – and people today aren’t particular about where they get their news.  According to Pew “the overwhelming majority of Americans (92 percent) use multiple platforms to get news on a typical day, including national TV, local TV, the internet, local newspapers, radio and national newspapers.  Some 46 percent of Americans say they get news from four to six media platforms on a typical day.”

This wasn’t that surprising to me, or you I’m sure.  But it did get me thinking.  Where do I get my news?  I watch the morning news at the gym, and as I’m getting ready I scan any news alerts that have come in on my cell phone.  I listen to the radio on my way into work.   I scan the local newspapers online and sometimes even the print editions on certain days (yes, I still read the actual paper).  And throughout the day you can find me checking various RSS feeds and news updates online of the national news sources and my favorite blogs. 

I’m not even going to attempt to try and figure out the actual sources.  Pew reports that most people use between two and five online news sources and 65 percent report they do not have a single favorite website for news.  However, 21 percent do rely on just one site for their news and information.  I’m not sure how that is possible – these are the people I want to meet.  Either you must be so focused, or you found the most perfect news website ever. 

Even our relationship to news is changing.  With 33 percent of cell phone users accessing news on their phones, you can be downloading the latest breaking news story on the go.  28 percent of Internet users have customized home pages to include news from sources or on topics of interest to them.  And with social media being all the rage, 37 percent of Internet users actually have contributed to the creation of news, commented on it, or shared it via their social media outlets.

More information on the study can be found here – definitely worth the read.

Now I’d like to ask you a question.  Where are you getting your news every day?  Please respond in the comments below. 


Bookmark and Share

No comments: