Thursday, August 4, 2011

Through the Eyes of a Digital Trainee

Bookmark and Share  By Maria Albert, Trainee, Edelman Digital

Before my first day as a trainee with the Edelman Dallas Digital team, I really had no idea what to expect. I had heard “internship stories” from friends about organizing endless cabinets or seen interns in movies skip the Starbucks line to get the perfect latte for their boss, but nothing could prepare me for the most intense and incredible summer of my life.

At first, I did feel a bit overwhelmed when I learned that we would be managing twenty social channels and engaging daily with millions of fans across all of Latin America and the Caribbean. I kept thinking to myself, “It’s just Facebook and Twitter, how hard can it be?” But if there is anything that I learned this summer, it is that being a part of Edelman Digital is much more than that.

Every day was an adventure full of surprises, challenges, and excitement with events going on in different countries, constantly creating content for new campaigns, and engaging with fans. I never knew what was going to come next.

One of the things I loved the most about my experience working with the Dallas Digital team is how diverse and complex the audiences are and how we managed to engage with them in such a personal and culturally specific way. Sometimes people tend to generalize Latin America as just one audience that speaks Spanish, but I have learned that every country has its own personality and separate relationship with the brand, and that you must engage with them accordingly.

It was an honor working with the Dallas Digital team. I learned so much from each one of them. We were scattered all across the globe but we managed to communicate, stay motivated, be supportive, all while having some good laughs. It was very inspiring to see how we never settled, never stayed still, were always raising the bar and looking for ways to improve and innovate the way we engaged with our fans. This is why it only took me a day to realize why Edelman is number one in the world and why this is an experience I will never forget.

No comments: