Monday, July 30, 2012

Becoming a Member of the Family

Bookmark and Share By Helen Vollmer, President, Southwest

A recent article in the New York Times lauded the efforts of young scions of upper crust families who are becoming known for their philanthropy. It made me start thinking about my own roots in giving back to the community and why some companies—Edelman included—have philanthropy as part of their DNA and others don’t.

In my case, growing up as a fourth generation Texan in San Antonio, my family took seriously the responsibility that came from helping build a community from the ground up.  As a member of the Junior Conservation Society I learned that in preserving the past we build foundations to protect the future of a place. I was hooked at the age of 10 to appreciate my surroundings and to support those in need. Over the years, I’ve volunteered, given financial donations and sat on boards at many organizations that were meaningful to me and those close to me.
 
But in joining the Edelman family almost two years ago, it’s been a homecoming to see how this particular company – the world’s largest public relations firm which, by the way is family owned – has a legacy of giving back. This year, our 60+ offices worldwide are engaged in a “Summer of Service:” 60 days of volunteerism to support hunger and poverty alleviation.  In honor of founder Dan Edelman and the company’s 60th anniversary, the Daniel J. Edelman Family Foundation will provide up to $100,000 to match funds raised by our offices to support the United Nations World Food Programme.

Giving comes from the heart.  But I’ve found that it really does start with being part of a family, however you define it:  blood relatives, work colleagues, your neighborhood, school, or a social or religious group that connects you to larger bedrock of humanity.  Philanthropy is about inclusion. It’s about respect for each other.  It’s about dignity and what we leave the next generation as part of our own legacy.  You certainly don’t have to be born wealthy to give.  Most of us aren’t.  It takes very little effort to throw a lifeline out to others in need.  So, wouldn’t it be nice if we all joined the family of man this summer by giving just a bit more in time, service or money?  Let me know what you think.

No comments: