Monday, August 31, 2009

What are you doing?

by Allen Caudle, Vollmer COO

When my social media team came to me and told me I had to sign up for a Twitter account, I dug in my heels and refused. I explained, I receive more than 200 emails a day, countless phone calls, people line up at my door to ask me questions, I have a Facebook page that has dredged up people from my past that I vaguely remember and certainly don’t recognize anymore and now you want me to post “what I’m doing” so followers know my every thought? Am I starting a religious cult? Can I reduce my very essence to 140 characters? No thank you!

With my complaints out of my system, I reluctantly agreed to learn more. I signed up for a Twitter account and have posted a couple of Tweets. But more importantly, as I spend time with this tool, I’ve learned the many ways it can be used and am slowly becoming an advocate. First, I noted how the media is using it to compete in a not just 24 hour-a-day news environment but an up to the nano-second news environment. Then, I realized how companies, as well as individuals, can use this device to point “followers” to additional information. So this whole 140 characters thing is not the whole story. Then I noted how a concept can be tested and feedback can be gained from individuals who have chosen to care enough to follow an organization or individual. There is some really powerful stuff going on out there in the vapors of Twitter land.

And now as we begin the task of developing communication plans for 2010, I find myself including the use of Twitter as a valuable tactical element for almost every plan. And certainly for every crisis communication plan we write, it’s included to point followers (the media) to the website containing more information about an incident.

Recently, we were conducting crisis training and discussing various communication policies for a particular company. We asked if they felt there was any risk of photos or videos being taken inside their plant and making it to the internet in the event of a crisis. They responded, absolutely no risk, we have all our visitors leave any photo or video equipment at security before they are granted access. We asked how many at the table had cell phones; how many of those cell phones had cameras; and how many had video capabilities. At which point one of the trainees volunteered that he now enters a plant with two cell phones so he has one to leave at security and one to use. It was at that point they realized their vulnerability and how fast bad news could travel. If you’re not matching the speed at which news can travel with your capability to get your message out fast, you’ve lost control of your message.

I admit, I’m a little slow to embrace this technology. But…

Twitter is here and it has endless possibilities. It offers a competitive advantage for those who embrace it.

“What am I doing?”

I’m testing the water. And so far I like it.

Follow Allen on Twitter @abctx
Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Angie Jeffrey said...

Great article, Allen. I have struggle with the same things - esp with an inherent resentment that my entire life has to be in front of a keyboard. However, as you say, Twitter does have some very powerful uses in specific situations, so I, too, have reluctantly plunged in. Anyway, appreciated hearing how another super-busy professional felt about yet another demand on his time!

Best,

Angie Jeffrey