Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Most Important Partner Relationships


by Micah Reeves, Vollmer Public Relations Houston

Earlier this month, I was asked to write an article about our partner relationship with Microsoft. While that is a great topic, I find it difficult to write about it right now. While a relationship with Microsoft is important, it is not the most important to me at this time.

My relationship with my employer, Vollmer Public Relations, is having a much larger impact on my life at this time. You see, my father is undergoing surgery to replace part of his hip, which he broke a couple of weeks ago when he fell. Looking back over the past few years, it seems I have spent quite a bit of time in hospitals with various family members. I have had the joy of seeing my son’s first moments and the disappointments of cancer, stroke, food poisoning, and malpractice from treatment in a foreign country. Through everything that has happened, I have seen compassion from many people - especially the people I work with at Vollmer.

These days, it seems like most companies are mainly focused on the bottom line and forget how that line gets driven. People are the cogs that make businesses run and are essential to success, regardless of what a company is doing. The most valuable commodity for most companies is their employees. Even with this simple truth, many companies forget that people are human and have issues that affect their lives and work.

I believe that a direct correlation can be drawn between the productivity of an individual employee and the way that employee is treated by his or her employer. If a company supports its employees through their personal challenges in life, the company will receive more from the relationships with them. I am grateful to work for a company that recognizes this.

Working for Vollmer over the past nine years has shown me many things, and top amongst them is that we are a family. I have never worked for another company where the leadership of the company truly cared about their employees’ personal lives. Vollmer’s leaders commit to their employees, not only on the professional side, but on the personal side of their lives, as well. I don't know what the future holds for me, but I do know that I have a family at Vollmer, one I can count on for support. That is very comforting to know at times like these.

My father just came out of surgery and is doing great. It turns out that the fracture was caused by a tumor from the bone cancer. To everyone at Vollmer, I want to say “thank you” for everything you have done for me and my family through all of this. I couldn’t imagine working with a better group of people.



Bookmark and Share

No comments: